The UNDERWORLD project is classified into a spanish research program oriented to the challenges of the society (Research Challenges Subprogram), so it is capital to define what are the main challenges of the project:
- Channel characterization from communications perspective including the estimation of the frequency response and the changing rate depending on the Doppler effect.
- Contributions on the optimum solution for the low power regime in terms of modulation and coding.
- Distributed processing: according to the described scenario, the key issue to guarantee the feasibility of the proposal is to take the maximum advantage of the network configuration. This aspect can be exploited at least, in the following terms:
- Distributed detection and estimation making use of the different locations of the nodes.
- Self-positioning of the nodes using message passing procedures.
- Localization, tracking and navigation aid to UUVs (Unmanned Underwater Vehicles), divers, etc.
- Efficient communication using multihop procedures.